Public education began at Dinwiddie Elementary School in 1882 when a one-room structure costing sixty dollars was built on the present school grounds. In the fall of 1906, the first high school courses were offered.
Three years of high school work were offered until 1913 when the four-year program was initiated. The high school was first accredited by the State Department of Education at the end of the 1918 session.
The cornerstone of the present school plant, built at the cost of $136,000.00, was laid with appropriate ceremonies by the Dinwiddie Masonic Lodge on May 5, 1939 and classes were first held on November 6 of the same year. The building was officially dedicated at commencement exercises on June 7, 1940.
A new addition consisting of eight classrooms and a modern cafeteria was made to the original building in 1956.
In 1965 Dinwiddie High School, Midway High School and Sunnyside-MoKenney High School were consolidated. A new high school was built and Dinwiddie High School became Dinwiddie Elementary School serving grades one through seven. In the fall of 1969 Southside Elementary and Dinwiddie Elementary were paired. Grades one through three were sent to Southside Elementary and grades four through seven remained at Dinwiddie Elementary. In 1988, due to the new middle school concept, this school was changed to house grades three through five.
On Sunday, October 8, 1989 a celebration to commemorate the present school plant’s 50th anniversary was held. The highlight of the occasion was the opening and viewing of the contents in the cornerstone that was laid in 1939. Some information pertaining to this memorable celebration was placed in the cornerstone and it has been resealed.